Wednesday, June 12, 2013

An antidote for whining kids, By Tracey Vale


I use this analogy to counteract whining in my children--and it works!

“Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” - Groucho Marx


Copyright Tracey Vale 2013
Last school holidays, for example, the kids and I had driven to Hallet Cove and were enjoying the breath-taking cliff and coastal views from the boardwalk that spans from the cove almost to Marino Rocks. We had already done some beach combing and rock-skimming and were feeling quite warm despite the coolness of the Autumn day, when we began the ascent to the boardwalk. The views are fantastic and the walk around the cliffs, up and down steps at times, was tiring--but what's to dislike about a challenge when the visual rewards are there for the appreciating?

Copyright Tracey Vale, 2013
A lot, apparently, if my 10-year-old son was to be believed. There he was on this beautiful 'sunshiney' day, wearing the most miserable, bored, snarly face he could muster. Coupled with this, he kept whining--one of my pet hates. We had just reached a section of the walk that takes a V-shape inland and inbetween two hills. So, let me paint the picture--we're in a valley and we have just reached the far-side of the V so that we are now facing the point where the view between the green(ish) hills is of the deep blue ocean. Add to that, the stream directly below us which was flowing to a point where there were large boulders, thus forming waterfalls. 

Frustrated that his mood still hadn't improved despite the beauty around 
Copyright Tracey Vale, 2013
him, I say "Okay--it's like this. You can choose to be miserable and grumpy or you can look around you and appreciate what there is and where you are and choose to be happy about it.". I pointed to his other three siblings who were loving it and running ahead to where the waterfall was breaking over the rocks (one of whom was five and therefore much more likely not to cope with a walk, but, hey, look at him!), "No-one else is complaining. They're having a great time. I'll leave it with you--it's your choice. Think about how you want to feel today." I walked ahead.


Before long, he was loving it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment